Thread: PHP version matrix "spread"?

Threaded View

Barry,

Ah... Embedded. Got it.

"Push" and "pull" are terms I learned further back than I care to think about . In 1996 I worked with Craig Church on a gig in Palo Alto - The EC Company. We "bolted together" EDI and the ACH feed. We sent real money from one bank to another, using CompuServe no less. In the banking industry, this is important. Do I pull money, and have the right to do so, or push it?

Three of the main components in involving a Foxpro 6 application, Drupal on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql & PHP) system, and Azure.

The end goal is to have everyone using Azure and a .Net/ASP application.

There are three stages I expect we will go through. And, where I'd like to start using Lianja.
    • Triage the existing codebase as needed.
      • Extract all hidden code and "magic numbers."
      • Implement them in SQL (Lianja, MS, Postgres, ?) as stored procedures.
      • Normalize data and processes.
    • Develop a process that allows for bi-direction data flow.
      • Use Lianja to 'pull' data from Drupal (PHP)
      • Use Lianja to 'push' data to Drupal.
      • Use Lianja to 'push' data to SQL. (This allows for an agnostic normalization platform.
      • Use Lianja to 'pull' data from Azure, Drupal, VFP, and SQL as needed.
    • After thorough testing turn the old system off

I am not privy to the expense, but I do think there might well be a cost-benefit having Lianja intimately involved in the intermediate stage, at the least. The project looks to be a minimum of two years, most likely more. And, I do think there is a possibility of increasing ROI in the process, in large measure, I am hoping based on how well I can get Lianja to work in this scenario.

There is a web-facing presence, and, candidly, I do think Lianja would also be a great fit vis-a-vis its ability to make the interconnectivity as seamless as it does. (Nice!)

I am hoping I can use existing PHP code and leverage a connection into Lianja, or from Lianja to the Drupal API. And, the same for Azure, and, of course, VFP. I know you have the ODBC side which is where I'll start.

And, I cannot imagine that any code, like PHP, does much more than basic input/output. Drupal itself would handle all of that and I honestly do not care to spend time there. I just want to get my hands on the data stream, and m looking to leverage Lianja.

You mentioned licensing, which I get. What I am doing is reproducing all of the environments on my new laptop - a Lenovo P73 Xeon, 128GB RAM & 3 2-TB solid-state disks. So, VMWare and/or Docker running in VMWare, which I can do now - if I need it. I don't think I will as I ought to be able to run everything in VMWare "straight up." Azure? Well, as usual, MSFT is a pain in the backside. There used to be a desktop-based Azure machine, but I believe these days one can only find those in a Docker Machine and given that Docker is a Type 1 hypervisor and VMWare a Type 2, they do not work well together. Fortunately, there are workarounds while they finish sorting out how to make them work together.

Thanks, Barry! Hopefully, that will help a bit.

Regards,

Doug
    Last edited by ddodge2; 2020-02-04 at 14:30.