Thread: Using Linux for Installation

Lianja MVP

Using Linux for Installation

While I will steer customers to the Lianja Cloud when it is available shortly -- because what needs to be known, implemented, monitored, and maintained for robust, secure, scalable deployment is a separate occupation from software design, development, QA, deployment, training, support and maintenance. I will use Lianja Cloud wherever I can. Yet, the need can still arise where I won't have that choice, and in that case I would choose Linux over a windows install for a number of reasons.

For cost and performance, Linux is very desirable. I have a Linux VPS test server, 4GB of ram, 2 virtual cores, 80GB SSD-back drive, that costs me $10 a month. (ionos.com, but there are plenty out there.) Also, when running the Lianja Cloud Server, it is quite easy to lock down.

But of course one must learn some things in order to work with linux. I have found that DigitalOcean has very useful tutorials on setting up and working with Linux. The best I have found. They also do hosting: for the kind of server I described above, the price is double. They have many more features if such are needed, however.

Anyway, to find what they have in the way of Linux tutorials, do a Google search on:

site:digitalocean.com linux

enjoy,

Hank
    Last edited by HankFay; 2019-11-26 at 21:54. Reason: Edited to reduce/remove confusion in the first paragraph.

Lianja MVP
    PS: if you want to install the Lianja Cloud Server running through Apache, search site:digitalocean.com apache to get very clear directions on installing and using Apache.
    Last edited by HankFay; 2019-11-25 at 11:10.

Lianja MVP
    PPS: if you want to automate setting up the above, the Chilkat Lianja tutorials on SSH will give you a headstart. One tip: instead of using the SSH stringbuilder to create the command line strings, you can use text...endtext in your VFP script and then replace all the chr(13) with space(0) (or double quotes, but that's hard to represent in a thread message) using strtran() and then use that string where the stringbuilder emits the string. Makes your script much more readable.

Lianja MVP
    PPPS: The last step in setting up LCS under HTTPS on Linux is to get an SSL certificate and install it on Apache. Free is good, and LetsEncrypt.org offers that, and even has it's own installer for you to use. Your hosting provider might have a built in SSL install capability, but doing it this way not only gets you the free SSL certificate but also auto-renews it for you. Go to https://certbot.eff.org/ and 1) pick Apache for the Software selection and 2) pick your version of Linux. The examples I posted are for Ubuntu, so go with the version of Ubuntu you installed (there no reason not to go with Ubuntu 18).

enjoy,

Hank