Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VFP Table conversion to Lianja

Lianja Support Team lianjasupport's Avatar
    We will retest in beta9r5 as this has fixes in it for these.

I have investigated this and know why you could not drag and drop .dbf files into Lianja. Let me explain.

VFP .dbf files have a maximum column name length of 10 characters. The longer column names that you are using in some of your indexes come from the .dbc file (not a particularly elegant way of handling these I must say). Due to this, currently the only way to import the tables into Lianja is via ODBC (Lianja does not have the 10 character column name restriction, they can be up to 32 characters).

We have changed our code to import the data even when indexes with invalid index expressions are present in the .cdx file associated with the .dbf file. The indexes are not recreated though, you will have to do that manually, only in cases where column names > 10 have been used.

We will look into importing all tables contained in the .dbc at some later date.

If I had done it via ODBC, which I was not able at the time due to the decimal places issue, would that have worked ?

If the index name is invalid and is thus stored in the DBC could the code not go out to the DBC and get the name used ? Easier though to use ODBC.

When the dialogue comes up to ask what connection string you want to use for the ODBC it would be really nice to have some option buttons to just click on and say I want VFP, MSSQL etc and then put the string in there, with entry boxes for things the user needs to put in like name of DBC, path if needed.

That would make it VERY easy for non programmers to do it as most of them would not have a clue what a connection string is in the first place

The decimal places issue has been fixed in beta9R5 so once you get that you should be able to import via ODBC. Give it a whirl.

In Beta9R6 we will add support for importing directly from a .dbc file so you can just drag it onto the "Tables" panel.

With regard to using CursorAdaptor to handle SQL views and restrict the data queried we have figured out how to do this (and have these data sources available for drag and drop development) and it will be available prior to final release.

You guys really know how to keep users happy !

Lianja MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by avianmanagement View Post
    You guys really know how to keep users happy !
    Ain't that's the truth.

Uninstalled beta 4 and installed Beta 5 on mac and windows machine

Deleted all old data for beta 4

On windows machine created new app
    Dragged vfp tabled to table section and it brought them in. They work fine on the windows machine

Moved app folder and the data folder to mac and placed them with the other data and app folders in library folder
    Opened app in mac
    Tables show in list but say encrypted after them
    When I try to select any one of them it say it does not exist

Well thats not the way it should work. Please submit a support ticket so it gets onto our todo list. FYI we actually copy the "southwind" database all around the different OS so this issue must be something new.