Thread: Sell desktop applications.

Sell desktop applications.

Do I understand correctly that since there is no .exe capabilities that an app can't be packaged to self install? And that is more like, I can sell an app that can be run EITHER on desktop or online...and that the desktop is really a shortcut to an online app?
    Also, if I create an app with a database of items(proprietary per user),does the database reside on each individual's desktop or pc?
    My app is an estimating app that needs a database of items, each item having attributes such as material price, labor price, etc. But each client that I sell to needs his or her own database of items that they may add to or delete or edit...not affecting any other client's database.
    Hope this is clear enough.
    Regards,
    Numberz

Lianja MVP
    Hi Numberz

With Lianja think primarily about cloud, cross platform, cross device.
    With the accent on mobile and web apps, desktop apps must change too.
    That is why App Center is the focal point for running apps.

But, if you prefer exe, then Electron is for you.
    Read this before someone from Lianja Team asnwers in details to all your questions: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...swers-Electron

Where databases
    will reside depends on you.

Even in Cloud
    not affecting any other client's database

is accomplished with tenants.

Josip

Josip,
    Not looking for alternatives, just asking questions.
    I'm not a programmer/coder and thus the interest in Lianja.
    Regards,
    Numberz

Hi Numberz,

Lianja has multiple ways of tackling different scenarios.

In short, yes - you can build and sell applications to various clients that are not online. The databases will be installed on the clients local network.

You can think of Lianja in the same context of a pure python application. You create a .py file for python. It's not technically an executable, but the python execution behind it runs as an executable or service.

Very similar to Lianja. There is an executable/service behind the scenes. So the deploy is not an executable, but the code underneath the hood is.

I hope that makes sense.

Herb

Lianja MVP
    And furthermore:

When creating a desktop app, Lianja has a built-in "install builder" (which you have to configure, although a default template is provided). This is what you use to install the "desktop only" app on a user's machine.

The days of desktop-only apps is, however, over. What Lianja gives you is a way to create the same app in a desktop version (running Electron) and also running on web/mobile. These apps all hit against the Lianja Cloud Server.

Will you have to learn some programming? Yes

Will you have to learn to be a professional programmer? No

hth,

Hank

Quote Originally Posted by hmischel@diligentsystems.com View Post
    Hi Numberz,

Lianja has multiple ways of tackling different scenarios.

In short, yes - you can build and sell applications to various clients that are not online. The databases will be installed on the clients local network.

You can think of Lianja in the same context of a pure python application. You create a .py file for python. It's not technically an executable, but the python execution behind it runs as an executable or service.

Very similar to Lianja. There is an executable/service behind the scenes. So the deploy is not an executable, but the code underneath the hood is.

I hope that makes sense.

Herb
    Thank you. So, as to my question about individual databases of items...each customer I sell the application to (even if they use a cloud option) will have their databases residing on their own pc?

Lianja MVP
    Hi Numberz

Yes, individual database (i.e. table of items) of each customer you sell your application to will reside on his PC.
    If it is LAN, then database will reside on one PC in that LAN.
    In cloud, databases will be all together somewhere (e.g.Amazon Cloud) , but separated as "tenants" - and not aware of each other.

In Lianja folder you will find the table CUSTOMERS.DBF in 3 folders.
    C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\data\southwin d\
    C:\lianja\data\southwind\
    C:\lianja\server\data\southwind\

As you can see, there is the same structure where the database southwind (and the table customers.dbf) is located for development, app center, cloud.
    About mapping the drives
    : https://www.lianja.com/doc/index.php..._Line_Switches
    --runtimedatadir
    --networkshare

--runtimedir
    --tenancy

Read more about deployment:
    http://www.lianja.com/community/show...s-Deployment-1
    http://www.lianja.com/community/show...s-Deployment-2

Josip

Last edited by josipradnik; 2017-07-16 at 10:52.